Apr 7, 2021

I am committed to practice.


When I first started writing professionally, I was thrown into the lion’s den, so to speak. I knew absolutely nothing about anything. I honestly don’t think I even knew how to write well. And there I was with contracts. Looking back, I realize now what a teachable moment it was, and that I was able to face challenges because I was, indeed, teachable by a very good teacher, my first agent. Over the years, I have realized that writers who are teachable are the ones who continue, not only to write, but to grow as writers. Sometimes teachable means being both self-reflexive and adaptable. BUT, rereading and making notes on Louise DeSalvo’s collection of essays this past week has given new meaning to the word, teachable. Because I think we are now talking about being creative and making choices and just practice. I don’t think there is enough emphasize on how we practice our work, how we really get from Point A to Point Z in our process. What works and what doesn’t work for us as creatives, and why something doesn’t work is really a key to our success in finishing a solid, satisfying project. DeSalvo’s book is being used along with other books on developing habits. I have very bad habits and over the years I’ve changed how I practice work, which I realize has been negative. Did you know it takes at least two and half months to develop a new habit or break an old one? And it’s hard to work on more than 3 habits at a time! Things I have learned. Keep notebooks on what I am writing and why, and the choices I make and why. Keep writing journals on content. Read my work from the beginning out loud a lot. Establish a good working process and keep to it. Divide the process into doable tasks. Develop habits to promote finishing those tasks. Take joy in process. No one really wants to hear about unknown writers’ processes. Smiling. But DeSalvo’s book is full of known and successful writers’ processes, presented in essays that show why practice is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments go to email for approval. I only check once a week. Thank you, Jane.