Jun 30, 2023

Doors and Portals

 


My next to last post of June 2023 for the end of my Birthday month celebration and reflection. I saw this door on Twitter this last week and I knew when I saw it that it would go in the story. Doors are portals, literally, even if they are just portals from one room to the next room in a small house. Metaphorically, doors are passageways to separate spaces that may be metaphysical. Doors are always choices or journeys. Some small. Some grand and wide. They are also, in a very different context, openings in walls which keep separate spaces.

I've always been obsessed with doors. I've always found the architecture fascinating. I often paint my doors, over and over, different colors or even paint flowers on them. This door is from a garden in Suffolk. The aesthetics moved me emotionally. I love flowers and brick walls. The colors are pleasing to me and some of my favorites. The door is very old. What lies behind it?

Doors are essential to my own mythology in The Ambitious Fairy Project which is a tale that pays tribute to portal fantasies but not in the usual ways.

Much of what I have celebrated in June 2023 has been leading me to my work and my novel. There are many stories in the world but some only one person could have written. 

It's too idiosyncratic, too shadowed by personal experience, its edges are not shaped properly, the spaces are off kilter. They feel uncomfortable and at the same time, pleasant and inviting. They are full of contradictions and layers.

Open this door and this is what you will find.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments go to email for approval. I only check once a week. Thank you, Jane.