Jun 27, 2022

White hardy hibiscus has been assailed by insects.


 Of all the plants I have in my garden, it is the hardy hibiscus that is always endangered. Sure I lose annuals and certain perennial daisies from the heat, but the hardy hibiscus dies from insect hunger. I have lost as many hibiscus as tea roses and in the humid South, that says a lot. Tea roses are mere annuals here. The humidity and black spot destroys them. INSECTS destroy hibiscus. This year, this organic gardener has decided to fight back with Sevin, probably the kindest of the seriously dangerous insecticides. It is not a pleasant choice. And I have waited and waited, and used everything else possible to save these gorgeous plants that I so love. This plant is located in the back/north lawn. The ones located in the front/south lawn are facing extinction. They look bad. They are suffering. It's liquid, ready to spray Sevin so I won't poison myself too. I wrote that gardeners are optimistic people, pragmatic too. If I were younger and had more days, I'd not have these plants. But I am not young anymore and my days are short and precious and I want them. So I am going to use Sevin and kill the insects and possibly poison a bee. Decision made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments go to email for approval. I only check once a week. Thank you, Jane.