Jun 4, 2022

The Age of Extremes 1914-1991 by Eric Hobsbawn


 There is much to ponder here. Outside the fact that Hobsbawn doesn't trust unbridled capitalism, he has arguably described the 1970s onward with an observant eye. Others who believe that capitalism has done its best, disagree. I walk a different line. I lived the 1970s onward with a wary eye. This is an extremely detailed book with economics at the heart of it. And I get that. Materialism moves the world. What we see here is how we are always fighting fascism in one form or another. Always. When people are left out of the system, especially those who work and pay taxes, things go a bit haywire. And what does that say about the future when Climate Crisis is going to be pressing down on us all? To shift from fossil fuel to green energy in time to mitigate Climate Crisis, we are going to be less than fair with a lot of people. Some are going to get lost in the shuffle.

I just don't know. I just don't know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments go to email for approval. I only check once a week. Thank you, Jane.