Jul 31, 2022

July 2022 Summary of a sorts

 


Wow, July is over. Despite the record high temperatures, the month just flew by in a sunny haze of work and more work. I could hardly keep up with the days. Some days I literally lost in work. I'd think it was Monday, and it would Tuesday and so forth. And not just once or twice, but oddly every week, I'd realize I was not keeping up with time, that it would even be 7:30 at night before I knew it, too. Strange hazy days of heat and sweat and working outside all morning, doing household things while cooking meals, and then writing to get the novel settled in its proper setting. I still have flowers everywhere and I feel very accomplished that I could do such a thing when most days in July were triple digits. We lost power three times in July, something that has never happened previously in all the decades I have lived here. And because I am Mississippi delta born and raised, I managed to keep my electric bill at $150, a sum my son said he had not had that low in over two years at his home. Normally my bill is around $85 dollars so that does tell you that my energy intake was almost doubled. Of course, Joey moved in the end of last month, too. One person can glide through a house almost unnoticed by anyone or anything, but not two. And not when it is 115 heat index on more than one day of the month.

The setback was using one car between us and I have not made any postal runs. Also it was so hot and dry (rain once until yesterday) that I could not dig up some plants to mail to my cousin. I made promises and failed. I am going to get both done this coming week though and make amends. Best I can do.

Other things neglected. Artwork as in visual arts. I was working too hard to keep the flowers alive. Laughing. And I moved my art room, too. It was just too hectic making all the adjustments for Joey moving into the house. Otherwise, it's been a really beautiful month, as beautiful as June. I can't complain. Not even as solitary as I was some days, consumed in my work. I made a discovery, something I was not sure of, something I doubted. But I do love my solitary life and I enjoy silence.

I even posted that quote on beauty and pleasure by Laura Mulvey. Someone replied to me with this:

"Maybe it is so due to the verbalization of the results which always turns out to be a lie, as Theodore Tyutchev put it in ‘Silentium!’,

'How can a heart expression find?

How should another know your mind?

Will he discern what quickens you?

A thought once uttered is untrue.'"

Lots to think about with this little paradox of sorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments go to email for approval. I only check once a week. Thank you, Jane.