Jul 9, 2022

A note on Climate Crisis.

 A note on Climate Crisis: I lost power today around 3 in the afternoon. I did not get it back until almost 9 at night. This is the second time within 4 weeks that this has happened. It was 115F degrees. I've lived here a long time. This has only happened 2 times previously, and one of those times was an ice storm and the other a car wreck where someone took down an entire pole on the highway. But this, this is infrastructure in an unseasonable season of above average temps. Yes. Since middle of May, it's been extremely hot. I haven't complained. I love summer. I grew up in the South without A/C and I tolerate the heat. I've worked outside nearly every single morning since March. I walk in the mornings. But what about other people, those who are more frailer than myself, those who have serious illnesses such as COPD or severe diabetes or asthma, etc. I am writing this because this is the future. This is what we will be facing. I live in the richest nation on this planet. I can't imagine what India, the Horn of Africa, Iran, etc. are facing. And this never makes the news. And by news, I mean CNN and CNN International. People don't read newspapers anymore and some people do not have access to the Internet. They have phones and TV and radios. Some places are going to burn this year. I read a story where 2000 cows died from heat stress in Kansas in June. I don't know how often that happens statistically or the context, but that's not good. It doesn't matter if you eat meat or not. Animals dying in fields (and they were in a field) from heat exhaustion is not good. 

We have known some serious science on Climate Crisis since the 1970s. That is 50 years according to my research. Half a century and how have we prepared, what have we done really? Today I was browsing through Twitter and people were making their usual complaints on this and that, all real issues for discussion. But they don't really discuss. While they are writing tweets and complaining, the world is burning and yes, people are already suffering from Climate Crisis.

That is depressing. I've cut so much social media out of my life. My blog is for my family really, to read after I am gone. It's not for money, or status, or bullshit. It's for me and my children. I really don't feel like I need to explain this to anyone. I just don't understand people anymore. Jaron Lanier is correct. There is no Left or Right on Twitter anymore, just DOWN.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments go to email for approval. I only check once a week. Thank you, Jane.