Sep 5, 2021

Why does the vampire still read?

 


Eve's house is full of books. My house is full of books. Today I watched the film Only Lovers Left Alive. I like it. But one question kept running through my mind. Why does Eve still read? She is not human, and doesn't appear to have retained any empathy for humanity in the way we humans work to feel. And yet she reads. All the time. The question is why? I think it's more than curiosity.

Another discussion is Adam? He chose music really, although we know he influenced many scientists. He is fighting depression. Depression in a vampire. This is not Louis from Anne Rice. These are not Anne Rice vampires at all. And yet, Adam is fighting either depression or boredom, which I might add, in psychology, are totally related.

It is the psychology I am interested in when it comes to these two vampires. I want to know why Eve still reads. Maybe it is why I still read after 1000s of books. I certainly don't read for curiosity anymore. Or maybe even empathy. It's not even conclusive in psychology that empathy is created and maintained by reading. Escape is a good answer, the easiest. But I don't read for escape either. One doesn't read Absalom, Absalom for escape. Smiling slyly.

Simulation. Curiosity. To learn. Hmmm. I have no firm answers right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments go to email for approval. I only check once a week. Thank you, Jane.