Mar 17, 2021

Social Media is a bad habit I am going to break.

 It's not a secret among those who know me that I struggle with social media. I don't consider my blog or Flickr or Goodreads or Tumblr social media really. I don't engage people on those Internet features. But I do on Facebook and Twitter. I do have an IG account but I rarely go there. I also have Pinterest. I have lots of  boards there where I collect images and note books, etc. I have private boards for images related to my work. I don't engage with others. It's all for me and related to creative work I do. I don't share my work online. I don't commercialize it in anyway. It's private. My life is really private.

Today, I think I experienced the last straw on Facebook and Twitter, the one that broke the camel's back. I had a definitive plan to cut back on Facebook and Twitter. I am quite capable of doing that, but I am thinking right now that I am going to stop Facebook until I finish my WIP. It's become so annoying to me. I already have people snoozed and I have unfollowed all news there. But I still find it distracting. I am not blaming people. I don't do that. I blame myself for being there in the first place. I remember when Johnny made it for me, that and Twitter. Joey set up my IG. I actually made this blog and the features I listed as friendly. John was on both Facebook and Twitter. All my children were, too. But John is gone, and the children have dropped social media except as a rare nonsensical post. Mostly satire and comedy. They text me that. Laughing.

I think, to be honest, with Covid and recent Politics, I have become less tolerant on social media. It's how I feel seeing important things made into entertainment and the increasing polarization and tribalism. I also see things that are not true being passed off as truth. It is just painful to watch. Another time in my life, I don't believe I would be so concerned. And on good days, I never even care, but right now I am distracted for whatever reason. It's real and it's not healthy. Social media is a bad habit I want to break.  I just don't want to do it out of disillusionment.  I may be just exhausted. Lots to think on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments go to email for approval. I only check once a week. Thank you, Jane.