Jul 18, 2019

A Question for the blog

Wontierioniasiopolis , Mississippi

   I had a question about the blog, well it was really about the town that I use as my location on the Internet. The truth of it is this:  Wontierioniasiopolis is the name of a ghost town in Mississippi.  The name is absurd. I use it as a personal metaphor, implying that Mississippi, the state where I was born and lived most of my life is a decaying and haunting place, a ghost of a disappearing thing. I came from the delta, an even more "particular" and poor area of the state, definitely where the blues was created by the thousands of slaves that tended cotton fields once upon a time. I suppose I belong to this land, that I can never escape it, though I married a Memphis boy and all my children were born in Memphis. Memphis and New Orleans were, for a long time, the bookcases of my life. To a certain extent, they still are. What lies between is this eerie land of massive contradictions, Mississippi, and all the towns are dying or have already died, ghosts. Living ghosts. I am stranger here. I always have been, and yet, I am totally connected. Divided. Ambivalent. Soon I will be a ghost, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments go to email for approval. I only check once a week. Thank you, Jane.