Mar 22, 2016

Faulkner's tree


It is true that literature absorbs folklore. You can read that phrase in many articles about The South. Faulkner's work is a clear example of this. But if we look at Faulkner closely, we can glimpse the primitive beliefs of Mississippi's people in an age when books were rare things.

I've been on a "Faulkner journey" for a few years now. He's not an easy read. I am hoping to take a college course on him this fall or next year, along with one on Mississippi History.  I took this photo today. The tree stands behind Faulkner's house. I was amazed at the roots on this tree and will post more photos this week.

Faulkner named his house Rowan Oak, because he believed it was good luck, the rowan tree legendary for protecting folks from fairies and otherworldly creatures. I believe, but am not sure that he planted several rowans and they all died, which makes me smile when I think of Faulkner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments go to email for approval. I only check once a week. Thank you, Jane.