Jul 5, 2015

The Hardy Hibiscus

Blue River 1

Pink Rose Mallow


My favorite flower is now the hardy hibiscus. I bought two new plants this year that are small and have almost a dozen of these (above). Next year I'm going to go searching for some special breeds, and try to find the deep pinkish red dinner plates that my father gave me. Roses die in a southern garden these days, due to Black Spot, which is a terrible disease and one that is difficult to get rid of, once it makes its home in your yard. The only way to attempt " control" it is to spray all the time and to monitor fallen leaves which means picking them all up and changing out the mulch frequently. I used to have a yard full of roses. Now I only buy old fashioned ones, what people call cemetery roses, because they are stubborn and Black Spot doesn't like them as well. But they do not bloom but once or twice a season. Since my garden is now organic only, I don't use a lot of sprays. SO roses are out. That's why I have fallen in love with the hardy hibiscus, which is not to be confused with the pretty tropical ones. The hardy comes back year after year and even multiplies and can be divided out. The more akin to the mallow family it is, the hardier it is, meaning, nothing can kill it. I am determined to have a yard full of them. They need little to no care and bees and butterflies love them. Gardening is one of my greatest pleasures. I prefer cottage gardens to formal ones, lots of perennials and old fashion flowers. I don't like things too neat. Smiling.

3 comments:

  1. Fascinating! I wouldnt think of hibiscus as an American flower but I guess it is pretty tropical where you live! They look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's not an American flower. It's Japanese I think. I'll have to look it up. This breed is a hardy, it's only grows in zones 5-9, so yes, down south, probably. They have tropical hibiscus. They are very colorful, but they just decorate and have to come in the house for cool times. A lot of people have them in their houses. My house plants are the ones I can take allergy wise, which is a small selection. I've been gardening this morning. It was nice out. A cool breeze. But I feel the heat coming back.

      Delete
  2. So beautiful. I love how delicate that it looks and yet it is hardy. Do not under estimate things, like the saying about a book cover.

    ReplyDelete

Comments go to email for approval. I only check once a week. Thank you, Jane.