Jun 26, 2015

My favorite fairy


Although I've talked a lot about fairies and death, my favorite fairy is Melusine, a creature that is somewhat mysterious and who probably inspired this beautiful painting by Isobel Gloag. It's called The Enchantress. Melusine has an interesting story, both in myth and history. I think one of the better essays is this one, which talks about how she might have been a real person, like King Arthur, who developed over time into something more. I have incorporated her into my fiction in more ways than one, mainly because I like her name and am completely haunted by this painting.  Also she makes a brief but important appearance in one of my favorite novels, Possession by A.S. Byatt. I always make allusions of some sort in my work to fiction or literary characters that I love.

I think it's safe to say that I write about ordinary people who get swept up in extraordinary circumstances. Imagine a knight, somehow seduced by this creature, then married to her, having children with her, creating a dynasty even, only one day to discover she was not mortal, and that having united with her, he faced something of a curse. That is great conflict. I also imagine this for young girls, tempted by fairies and demons and others.  However, I am very much Team Human. Some very good stories have been destroyed by endings where the human crossed over into the other world, embracing something outside their natural mortal world, without facing any kind of consequences, as though leaving behind mortality is very easy and desirable. The same goes for girls and boys who learn they have secret powers, gifts that have no price or consequences. How does that happen? Why is it that good people never win these days? I don't know these answers but I have thought about them a lot while writing my stories.

I like the idea of being human and part of Nature. I think it's okay.

That's why fairies are interesting to me. They are not human. They are not us. They are part of a long history of human desire. We created them. Understanding why we did this is what makes folklore and fairy tales so important and relevant, even in an age where people feel very modern, secular, and free of superstition.

9 comments:

  1. I feel bad for Melusine. I think I like La Belle Dame Sans Merci best, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great poem and I love it. I read it all the time, as well as the poem Christabel by Coleridge. We know these girls are not right! Melanie does evoke sympathy. After all, she told her lousy husband not look at her one day out of the week! Eros and Psyche are similar.

      Delete
  2. Have you read an older book about Melusine by Lynne Reid Banks? It's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO, I haven't, but I just looked it up and put in my wish list for later. Looks like a nice read. Thanks. Akin to mermaids! <3

      Delete
    2. :) And the one by Banks is a YA mystery. I can mail you the print book if you want it.

      Delete
    3. I'll email you. I see that it's a YA mystery. I like that format. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. I love Possession--it was the first thing I thought of when I saw your opening picture! Not technically a fairy, but I've always loved selkies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. And yes, that is such a great novel. I think I read it once a year now. I named my heroine after the authoress of The Ambitious Fairy Project. LOL. I can't wait to read your book.

      Delete

Comments go to email for approval. I only check once a week. Thank you, Jane.