Oct 19, 2014

My first collection of Poe's work



As you can see, I checked this out of the school library, and I don't believe I ever returned it. Of course, I had to buy it before I received my final report card. This volume has been read countless times over the years and because it was printed during the 1950s, it's still a beautiful, highly readable book. The paper is as clear as the day I first read it. 

I love this quote in the Introduction by T. O. Mabbot.

Properly read, Poe achieves magic in a way rarely attained even by Coleridge, to whom indeed Poe owes something, though perhaps less than to Thomas Chatterton. Within his own range, it is hard to imagine a more individual mastery than Poe's.



3 comments:

  1. Tsk tsk, you terrible girl, stealing a library book! :P

    It is Poe though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, well, in my youth I ended up paying for a lot of library books! Than I repented for years by giving them excellent books. So maybe I am forgiven now. ;)

      Delete
  2. Awww..you still use the reading glass. So pretty. Miss you sweet lady. I tried to comment before not sure why it is being difficult with me, I'm normally so good with electronically gadgets. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments go to email for approval. I only check once a week. Thank you, Jane.