Jan 25, 2023

The Ambitious Fairy Project is inspired by this short story.

"When I realized what the Erl-King meant to do to me, I was shaken with a terrible fear and I did not know what to do for I loved him with all my heart and yet I had no wish to join the whistling congregation he kept in his cages although he looked after them very affectionately, gave them fresh water every day and fed them well. His embraces were his enticements and yet, oh yet! they were the branches of which the trap itself was woven. But in his innocence he never knew he might be the death of me, although I knew from the first moment I saw him how Erl-King would do me grievous harm."

Angela Carter, The Erl-King

(Some of the aspects of this story inspired The Ambitious Fairy Project. Perhaps, an ordinary girl being attracted to something intensely and then overcoming that desire so she could save herself. As a writer, I am not particularly interested in portraying superpowers as metaphor. I see them as outside nature. I use them in that way. And for me, Nature is everything. That is to say, Evolution, too. Humankind is part of Nature. But many things are outside it. Ask yourself what and why? For many things are and to our advantage. It's not all dismal or wrong or twisted.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments go to email for approval. I only check once a week. Thank you, Jane.