Aug 23, 2022

The Dance in Only Lover Left Alive


If you have followed me anywhere on social media, I often mention Eve from Only Lovers Left Alive and I have a quote from her on the blog header. Eve and I are very similar in personality. And no I am not a vampire. We are both bookworms and dancers. We both enjoy botany and science. We both love life. I rewatched Only Lovers Left Alive last night because I wanted to look at the film closer. I really have not had the time to do that.  And since I was binging some TV for the aesthetics and the novel, I thought I really need to get a closer look at the film. What makes these two vampires stick together besides vampirism? They are really opposites in many ways. I had a brief discussion with my sister about it this afternoon, and we were mulling over what the film was really about besides addiction, because addiction is there. I need to think about it. I had already asked the question why do vampires read? And I got the usual answers. I do know this. There is a sense of wonder about Eve and her love for life.  I relate to how attentive she is to the world outside herself. I think she reads because of that characteristic. It's just not curiosity. It's a kind of experience for her. It's a way of knowing the other, but also the world she can no longer really belong to. I'll be back with occasional comments on the film in September and October when I celebrate all things Gothic and Halloweenish. I'm doing a Sleepy Hollow themed front yard. For right now, I recommend turning on some music and dancing.


Edited: "I did have a quote. It may come back. Laughing."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments go to email for approval. I only check once a week. Thank you, Jane.