Apr 9, 2022

You are not a gadget


 Ben came by the house today and also had our lunch delivered. He stayed  (six) hours and we talked about everything, including Jaron Lanier's book. There was some tech jargon he explained to me, which helped in understanding how MIDI was locked in and what that really meant. Later we got into the values and devaluing of the arts. Just a note. Ben doesn't do social media though he does use the Internet for certain things. But social media has never interested him that much. This is my second read of Lanier's book, which I found so interesting and also kind of frightening. None of my children really do social media much. I began thinking about that and why. I have never really asked them in detail. None of them are on Twitter at all. Probably because of how they live. (?) But I'll have to think about it later. No answers really, just musing. I wanted to post this because I have a feeling I won't get back to the Internet this week. And by the time I come back, I'll be posting another book I am reading and an update on WIP.

I spent a lot of time outside today.

The sun was shining.

Small things. Beautiful things. It's been such a harsh winter.

Lanier, as we all know, is a genius and a very decent human being. He cares about creative people. This book was written over a decade ago and he saw the film industry as it is now, gone the way of the music industry. It all reminded me of the news on Twitter this week over the new four payout system in publishing. I remember when they began basketing royalties, and the three payout system was harsh. I think, in hindsight, I was lucky to have chosen the path I did. Lots of experience, timely checks, and less stress. 

But now I want to write a novel.

Oh, well....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments go to email for approval. I only check once a week. Thank you, Jane.