May 3, 2020

Lydia



Today, Lydia came with her parents to. my house. I have not seen any of them since February except on FaceTime.  The most difficult aspect of this virus on a personal level is not being able to see my children and grandchildren. But for a bit there, they were all working the frontlines and it was impossible. We basically met outside on the patio while her parents were doing some work in the yard. We always had this space between us. There was no hugs at all, but we blew kisses across the distance. Everyone talked and told stories and worked. It felt so ordinary and yet it was somehow more beautiful and good than it had ever been previously. It was a moment that I captured in my mind, watching it all play out, understanding how we human beings take so much for granted. I will never take seeing my children or grandchildren for granted ever again. I learn lessons easily.

This plague should remind us all to take care of little things. Ordinary things. Everyday things. People things. Hugs. Kisses. I was thinking today, for me, what a lovely thing a whisper might be now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments go to email for approval. I only check once a week. Thank you, Jane.