Oct 14, 2019

Things I have learned in the last 5 years about writing

No matter what an author writes, the author cannot hide. Be it the author's subject matter, the sentence structure, the diction, or even tone, the writer's personality is going to be revealed. The author is his or her work and the kind of work does not matter. It can be high art as in literary writing or more common genre writing, a memoir, or a year's string of tweets or Facebook posts, even a song. But the exposure is the same. A personality is divulged.

Yes, some beliefs are openly stated. But others can be eventually discovered in the actual words that an author uses. After all, all writing is about experience, whether it is merely described experience or interpreted. I have come to understand that the best writing is interpreted and is done so, with great sensitivity, the kind of perceptiveness that is made visible.  There is a distinctiveness, a peculiar sound and meaning.

This is one of the most valuable things that I have learned about writing in the last five years, not just the intellect of knowing it as a truth, but observing it in all kinds of people. This new way of looking and paying attention has taught me many lessons, even about myself.

It has changed how I pay attention to the world and how I look, and also how I read. But mostly how I now live my daily life. 

Who knew words could be so powerful.
Who knew that finding interest in the everyday things, in what might be missing counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments go to email for approval. I only check once a week. Thank you, Jane.