Jan 18, 2015

In the art room this week


Nothing moves me more than a beautiful painting. For many people, music motivates writers. For me, art is a key ingredient in the creative process. Of course, my favorite paintings are narrative, and I honestly believe the greatest art is narrative art, and that the greatest books are written the way an artist paints, in layers, with myth and metaphor, with scenes and symbols. This painting is a guilty pleasure. I have an obsession with paintings that are a bit whimsical like this one. It's called "A fair beauty." The artist is Herbert Gustave Schmalz who was influenced by the Pre-Raphaelites. I've previously posted this painting on Facebook but found it on Flickr this past week while I was searching for some paintings of flowers and insects that might help me with a composition I am doing. If I am on the Internet, nine times out of ten, I am looking at paintings. What a wonderful gift that time has been for me, the ability to see all this fabulous art work that normally I'd never get to see. I'll be checking in, but this week, I am in the art room working. Be back next Sunday.

3 comments:

  1. It reminds me a lot of The Somnambulist, only the lighter version. I like your idea of building up layers of writing, the current bookcertainly is coming along that way, which i don't think it ever has before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only write in layers and sometimes the stories changes in characterization. Not so much the main plot, that really never changes, but why and how? that changes. I hardly recognize my story now and it will be finished this summer, FOR SURE!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. I actually got some work done! Imagine that.

    ReplyDelete

Comments go to email for approval. I only check once a week. Thank you, Jane.